Mateo Z. Fowler, ESQ
Mateo Fowler is the founding member of MZF Law Firm. Mr. Fowler represents and counsels clients in the areas of intellectual property rights, business and corporate governance, as well as real estate and construction. Mr. Fowler has litigation and trial experience in state and federal courts, in arbitration tribunals, and in the International Trade Commission, involving patents, copyrights, trademarks and technology trade secrets, licensing, and business disputes. Mr. Fowler’s complex commercial litigation practice focuses on unfair business practices, trade secret theft, and employment disputes. Mr. Fowler's intellectual property counseling services include copyright and trademark registration and prosecution; IP and technology trade secret infringement studies and opinions; IP and technology trade secret licensing, acquisition and sales; and privacy issues. Mr. Fowler's business counseling services focus on representing startups and existing entities with formation, financing, joint ventures, mergers and acquisitions, as well as in intellectual property portfolio management. Mr. Fowler has been a trial attorney with some of the best trial law firms in the world, and is able to leverage his education and training to provide clients with modernized top tier legal services.
When Mr. Fowler is not practicing law, he enjoys spending time with his wife and two boys hiking, bike riding and exploring the world. Mr. Fowler also volunteers his time with the Capital Area Food Bank of Texas; the Cub Scouts of America, Pack 20; Texas Accountants and Lawyers for the Arts; and Volunteer Legal Services of Central Texas.
- Represent individual in same sex divorce in wake of Obergefell v. Hodges.
- Represent photographers in copyright enforcement actions in Texas and California
- Defended Oil and Gas services company in a breach of contract, trade secret misappropriation action.
- Represent company in patent infringement matter in the Eastern District of Virginia concerning digital rights management.
- Represent company in patent infringement matter in the Eastern District of Texas concerning Wi-Fi and the 802.11 standards
- Represent electronic 3D glasses manufacturer in trade secret, design patent, copyright and trademark action against multiple defendants.
- Represented oil well drilling equipment manufacturer in patent infringement trial, where the jury returned infringement verdict of valid claims.
- Represented fiber optic amplifier manufacturer in patent infringement action against multiple defendants.
- Represented law firm in breach of contract actions related to fee disputes and related negligence defenses, and obtained favorable results in each action.
- Defend patent infringement matter in the ITC regarding cellular technology.
- J.D., Consumer & Antitrust Law Fellow, Loyola University Chicago School of Law, 2005
- B.A., The University of Texas at Austin, 2002
- Dallas Bar Association
- Houston Bar Association
- Texas Bar Foundation, 2010
- Houston Intellectual Property Law Association
- Super Lawyer, Rising Star - Intellectual Property Litigation, 2014, 2016- 2018
- California 2005; Texas 2008
- U.S. District Court for the Central District and Northern District of California; U.S. District Court for the Northern, Southern, Western and Eastern District of Texas; United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, Ninth Circuit, and Federal Circuit